02 May 2011

Closure.

"Sorry, you're at the wrong gate, Osama." - @jesus

Last night President Obama addressed our nation with the words we've all been waiting to hear for 10 long years: Osama bin Laden is dead. You can imagine the jubilation those five words created across the United States. Finally, this long chapter is over and we can now move on...perhaps even bring our troops home?

But for this moment, right this second, I want to remember where I was when the news was officially dropped (even though the advent of Twitter completely blew up with the news 40 minutes before President Obama made his official statement) because I sure as hell remember where I was when 9/11 happened.

I hadn't cried this hard since 9/11. I didn't know anyone in the Twin Towers, none of my loved ones were in New York when it happened, but that doesn't mean I, and so many others across the country, did not grieve and feel completely helpless when we watched the horror unfold on TV. And now I will remember that last night I was glued in front of my laptop anxiously waiting to hear those five words, crying the hardest tears of joy that I've ever cried in my life. And all the while I was thinking, finally, justice has been served, and I look forward to the day that I can tell my future children about this important chapter in American history.

Time may heal wounds, but time and patience will brings us closure in the end.

No comments: