15 March 2012

WonderCon 2012


This is it! For the next three days I will be joined by tsudoku, our dearest buddy Vinh, @ohdrahcir, and possibly a few other friends for 3 fun-filled geek-out days at WonderCon! I'm super excited!

In case you didn't already know, WonderCon is kinda like the sister convention to Comic-Con in San Diego. Normally it's held in San Francisco, but this year the convention center in SF is undergoing some renovations, so the organizers at WonderCon have kindly graced the citizens of Orange County with their presence by holding it at the Anaheim Convention Center for one year only.

Tickets are super cheap ($25 at the door for one day only or $40 for all 3 days if purchased online, $50 at the door) and the panels are pretty amazing. There'll be quite a few celebrities, which I don't really care too much about (unless it's Joseph Gordon-Levitt—who will be there to promote his new film Looper—asking me to please, please, please make out with him), a few exclusive movie screenings and short Q&As with cast members, producers and directors (g'day Sir Ridley Scott), vendors (cha-ching, merchandise!), and plenty of cosplaying.

One of my buddies intends to get in to the Sony movie panel for Resident Evil, The Amazing Spider-Man, and Looper. I for one am determined to meet or listen to the amazing Wil Wheaton (@wilw), Ernest Cline (author or Ready Player One and the screenplay to Fanboys), and attending several different panels. The ones I'm most excited about include:

  • Making Animation History with The Last Unicorn
  • Maybe the 21 Jump Street screening
  • The Science of Battlestar Galactica
  • Batman vs. Iron Man: Can Biology Best Technology?
  • The World of CAPCOM!
  • Where Do Ideas Come From?
  • Fox Searchlight's The Sound of My Voice
  • 20th Century Fox: Prometheus and Abraham Lincoln (I highly doubt I'll be able to get in to this one)
  • Geek & Sundry
  • MARVEL: Avengers vs. X-Men
  • Video Game Characters Reborn! Namco Bandai Games' ShiftyLook
  • DC Comics: All Access Special Edition
  • Open Road Films: Lockout
  • Geek Slant: How the East Meets West (I REALLY want to go to this one)
  • Science in Science Fiction
  • Tournament of Nerds! (my girlfriend's boyfriend will be debating in this event, possibly against the oh so awesome Maddox)
  • Steampunk 101
  • Starship Smackdown Anaheim
  • The Godzilla Films of Ishiro Honda
  • Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Did I miss a few??

Obviously I'm not going to be able to attend all of these terrific panels. I can't be in six places at once plus the majority of these panels take place on Saturday and can run as long as 2 hours each. The 21 Jump Street panel is the exception; according to the WonderCon site that panel should only last 15 minutes; should I even waste my time just to try and get a glimpse of Jonah Hill?

I'll be sure to take LOTS of pictures (when permitted of course) and tell you all about it when I get back. Hopefully I'll come back with a few t-shirts and comics. J

No comments: