16 December 2010

Current Obsession: Me as Ramona Flowers in Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game

Damn the holidays! Damn it all! Shopping for Christmas presents and cosmetics (for me) has kept me from doing what I love most - writing (and gaming). So here I am once again, on my hands and knees asking every one of you in Denmark, Canadia, Japan, and Alaska if you could ever forgive me for this unintentional hiatus.

Also, do you like me? Circle yes or no.

Ahem. I digress. Before the holidays took ahold of my life, tsudoku and I started playing the awesome side-scroller Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game (now available on XBLA for a cheap, cheap price). Let me tell you, it ain't easy, but it sure as hell is FUN! My thumb calluses have returned and I wear these badges of honor with pride, which tells you that I've been playing non-stop AND that I was born during the age of button mashing.

That should be me second from the left. Image courtesy of SpawnKill.com

Although we haven't defeated Gideon and finished the game (we've only gotten as far as battling that freak vegan bassist, also known as Ramona's third evil ex), I have mostly good things to say about this game:

  • The return of the 8-bit video game style. I'm a child of the '80s, what can I say? The game definitely brings back a sense of nostalgia to my stomach. See what I did there? Seriously though, I felt like I was playing an old Nintendo or arcade game - the cheesy music added to the effect.
  • This is a great solo or team game. You can have up to 4 players: Scott Pilgrim, Ramona Flowers, Kim Pine, and Stephen Stills. Cheat: it's better if you play with another person so that you can pick up your partner and use them as a weapon against thugs.
  • Leveling up is easy - just keep kicking butt and collecting coins. Also, it helps to eat A LOT in this game. In fact, there's an achievement for consuming every single item in a cafe, liquor store, sushi joint, or food stop.
  • The Scott Pilgrim depicted in the game looks nothing like that dweeb Michael Cera.

How does this dude get chicks?

However, I do have one major gripe about the game: SAVING SUCKS!!! How do you know your game is being saved? You'll notice a cute flying piggy in the upper right hand corner of the screen that lets you know that your hard-drive is being over-ridden with your current progress in the game. Oh really now? Then how come when I come back to play the game the next night I'm taken back to the last level I just completed?! Is there a patch for this that I'm not aware of, or is it just Ubisoft's way of screwing with me after I paid $5 for the game (it was half-off at the time. It's probably back to $10 now).

Aside from having to go back and re-defeat the thugs from the previous level, the game is fun, great for kids and parents, and definitely for the couple that needs to unwind after an argument that sent the boyfriend to sleep on the couch for the rest of the night.

I'll definitely let you know if and when we ever finish this game, although my guess is that it'll be some time next year. :)

No comments: